Anywhere we look in nature, there is a lesson to learn.
Things are always changing that we can notice, appreciate, and celebrate. We see the wonders of the present moment. We can be inspired by the creativity and playfulness around us.
Nature can teach us about patterns, cycles and relationships. We can learn about compassion and kindness. Nature has a built-in capacity to let go, make peace, and eventually flow into new life. In nature, we are reminded that nothing is permanent. Things change from moment to moment. And during the change, we see how nature can adjust or revitalize or be liberated. We can learn about humility and patience. We begin to see the world with new eyes.
Nature is a great place to untangle our thoughts and find fresh perspective. As we connect to nature, we see the greatness of God’s creation and His teachings all around us. Like nature, we are continually growing, healing, and changing. There is always something new that can be awakened in us. We will find ways to adapt. We can begin anew.
In today’s Wellness Wednesday, we connect to nature.
As a class, group, or family:
· Go for a nature walk. A daily walk is a way to nurture present moment awareness.
· Before going, make the connection between nature and God. His message is everywhere. What ways does God shows us he walks with us on the path? That we can begin anew?
· Now, go for a walk outside and see what you notice. Pay attention to the gift of creation and God’s presence in it.
· Point out things that are new or things that are changing. Walk in silence to take in all the sounds (i.e., lawnmowers, birds, laughter, paper rustling, snow crunching).
· Look around and notice all the colours. Choose a colour or a rainbow of colours and find everything that fits in that colour category.
· Consider finding a spot on your own. Look around and notice what you can see/hear/feel.
· When you are back, talk, write, or draw about the experience.
*adapted from SMHO’s Walk with God activity https://smho-smso.ca/fw/stress-management-and-coping/guided-imagery/a-walk-with-god/ and SMHO’s Connecting To Nature activity https://smho-smso.ca/fwsecondary/stress-management-and-coping/pause-and-reflect/connecting-to-nature/
Ask yourself, there is no wrong answer:
How do I feel after going for a walk?
How can nature help me connect with God?
What is one message or teaching from God that I found in nature?
Connecting to our faith:
"We will never be disillusioned or lose our way if we are guided by God." (Pope Francis)
“You show me the path of life. In your presence there is fullness of joy; in your right hand are pleasures forevermore.”(Psalm 16:11)
Walk with God. Let Him lead the way. He will guide us along the path of life. In nature, we see the greatness of His work. We feel God’s presence in the wind and see Him in the waves. Nature reminds us of our Lord's resurrection, that from death, God restores life. He creates living. Just as nature begins anew, so can we.
· SOCIAL MEDIA SHARABLE: “Observe Your Surroundings” https://smho-smso.ca/wp-content/uploads/2021/08/Solid-3-scaled.jpg
· SOCIAL MEDIA SHARABLE: “Notice Yourself Connecting With The Earth” https://smho-smso.ca/wp-content/uploads/2021/08/Inspire-3-scaled.jpg
· BOOK: “God Is In Nature” by Jessica Doebler (author)
· BOOK: “The Listening Walk” by Paul Showers (author), Aliki (illustrator)
· BLOG: Ontario Parks “Mental Health Benefits of the Outdoors” www.ontarioparks.com/parksblog/mental-health-benefits-outdoors/